Ramakrisna Mission Vivekananda College
, named after Swami Vivekananda
, was inaugurated on 21 June 1946 by professor, philosopher, and politician, Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
. It is located at Mylapore
, in the centre of Chennai
on 20 acres (81,000 m²). The principal of the institution is Dr.S.Swaminathan.
Founding of the college
The college was founded with the help of a group of philanthropists and educationists, the prime mover being M. Subbaraya Aiyar
, then a prominent income tax lawyer of Madras
and the founding Secretary from 1947 to 1960. Aiyar also co-founded two other educational institutions, Vidya Mandir
in Mylapore and the Madras Institute of Technology
in Chromepet. Vivekananda College was subsequently handed over to the sole control of Ramakrishna Mission
and renamed Vivekananda College, a unit of Ramakrishna Mission Vidyapith, Chennai. It offers instruction in English medium and admits only male students.
Affiliation and accreditation
The college has been accredited with B++ grade by National Assessment and Accreditation Council
(NAAC) in 2003. The College has been granted autonomous status by the University Grants Commission
, New Delhi
in 2004-05 to all the courses up to M.Phil Degree. It is affiliated to the University of Madras
and provides Arts, Science and Commerce courses at the Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral......