Rangpur remained the capital during the most glorious period of the Ahom kingdom. The capital fell twice to rebels of the Moamoria rebellion. In the first instance, the rebels occupied the capital for a few months between 1769 and 1770, when the Swargadeo, Lakshmi Singha, was kept in captivity. In the second instance, the rebels occupied the capital in 1788 and held on to it till 1792, when Thomas Welsh of the East India Company removed them. Even though Rangpur came back to the control of the Ahom state, it lost its status as the capital to Jorhat, the last Ahom capital.