was one of the administrative subdivisions of the Punjab
province of Pakistan
, forming part of the third tier of government below the federal and provincial levels. Divisions were composed of districts which formed the fourth tier of government, but the local government reform of 2000 abolished administrative divisions
and raised the districts
to become the new third tier of government.
Following the British conquest of the region in 1849, the area around Rawalpindi became a division of the Punjab province
of British India
, primarily because of the strategic location of the city of Rawalpindi
.The Rawalpindi Division
itself was a part of Lahore Division
The Imperial Gazetteer of India describes the division as follows:
"North-western Division of the Punjab, lying between 31º35' and 34º 1' N. and 70º 37' and 74º29' E. The Commissioner's head-quarters are at Rawalpindi and Murree. The total population of the Division increased from 2,520,508 in 1881 to 2,750,713 in 1891, and to 2,799,360 in 1901. Its total area is 15,736 square miles, and the density of the population is 178 persons per square mile, compared with 209 for the Province as a whole"
The division was composed of five district:
On independence in 1947, the division was one of four divisions of the province of West Punjab
but from 1955 to 1970, the divisions was one of twelve (later thirteen) divisions of West......