The Raymond Hotel
located in South Pasadena was the first major resort hotel of the San Gabriel Valley which, for the most part, served as a winter residence for wealthy easterners. It was built by Mr. Walter Raymond of Raymond & Whitcomb Travel Agency of Boston, Mass. The hotel was built atop Bacon Hill which lies between Pasadena
and South Pasadena
and was renamed Raymond Hill with the opening of the hotel in 1886. The original hotel, a grand and unequivocal Victorian edifice was burned to the ground in 1895. A second building, of a later and more fireproof style, was erected in 1903 and equally replaced the older in grandeur. The hotel was foreclosed during the Great Depression
and was razed for residential development.
War Veterans, Health Seekers, and Tourists
In 1883 Walter Raymond had ventured west the young community of Pasadena, California, described as a sleepy village of 1,500 people. Seeking to excite business in the transcontinental tour market, he noticed that the yet unincorporated town had no hotels for visitors. This piqued his interest in establishing one, thereby purchasing a hard granite hilltop called Bacon Hill as the site for his new Raymond Hotel. The dynamiting and grading off of of the hilltop came to more than the twice Raymond’s estimates, and he turned to his father Emmons Raymond for assistance. The older Raymond was president of the Boston & Passumsic Railroad and one of the 40 original... Read More