is a multi-purpose sports stadium, owned by the Royal Dublin Society
and located in the Dublin
suburb of Ballsbridge
The arena was originally developed to host equestrian events, including the annual Dublin Horse Show
, which was first held there in 1868. The site was acquired in 1879 by the RDS
. The primary tenants of the RDS are Leinster Rugby
who compete in the Magners League
and Heineken Cup
. The Arena has also hosted football, tennis and wrestling events as well as concerts. The arena has a capacity of 18,500, 16,500 of which is seated.
The North and South stands at the ground are removed for equestrian events, with only the Grandstand and Angelsea Stand permanent. The Grandstand was rebuild in 2006 for the 2006-07 rugby season, to replace the old wooden stand when Leinster first became permanent tenants. A roof was added for the 2008-09 season. There are plans to replace the Angelsea Stand with another new permanent stand, which would incorporate the only terraced area of the stadium.
The Stadium first hosted a football game on 30 September 1990 when Shamrock Rovers
used it as a home ground. For the next six seasons until April 1996 Rovers played their home games there. The Stadium held its first international match on 19 February 1992 when it played host to a home game between Ireland
and Wales national football team
. The... Read More