Unusually the two platforms are not opposite each other as is the case with most stations. Platform 1 is further west than the second and there is a bridge over the track which connects the two. There is a level crossing over one of the major roads into Redcar at the end of platform 1 which can also be used to cross over the track. Nearby is the Redcar Station business park which houses a few local business units.
The line into the town from the west was opened as the Middlesbrough & Redcar Railway on 4 June 1846. The company that constructed it was nominally independent, but in reality was backed financially by the Stockton and Darlington Railway and the Great North of England Railway (one of the constituent companies of the North Eastern Railway). The S&D had formally taken over by the time an extension eastwards to Saltburn was completed in August 1861 – this diverged from the original line just short of the existing terminus (part of which remained in use for goods traffic) and so a new through station had to be constructed. ... Read More