The Reliant Sabre
and the Reliant Sabre Six
were small two-seater sports cars produced by Reliant
between 1961 and 1964.
Developed in collaboration with the Israeli
motor company Autocars
, the first Sabres appeared in 1961 as two-door convertibles, front-engined, rear-drive, with four-cylinder OHV Ford Consul
engines of 1703 cc. They had front disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, and a ZF all-synchro gearbox. The front suspension was an unusual leading-arm set-up. Power output was giving at least . The bodyshells were originally based upon the Ashley 1172
to which Reliant had acquired the rights. Coupés were introduced in June 1962, and total production reached 208 cars.
In 1962 the Reliant Sabre Six was introduced, with a six-cylinder Ford engine of 2553 cc, capable of and 0-60 mph in 12.2 seconds. The nose of the car was different from the earlier Sabres, and all but the first 17 Sabre Sixes had more conventional suspension, taken from the Triumph TR4
. From a production total of 77, 75 were coupés and just 2 were convertibles.
Appearances in films and books