Richard Gilbert Scott
(born 12 December 1923) is a British architect, the son of Giles Gilbert Scott
and great-grandson of the great Gothic Revival
architect George Gilbert Scott
. He was educated at Harrow
, Charterhouse School
, Bartlett School of Architecture London University
, and Regent Street Polytechnic
School of Architecture.
Scott was the designer of two churches which have been given Grade 2 listings: St Mark's Church, Biggin Hill
and the Church of Our Lady, Tile Cross, Birmingham.
Scott worked for the family firm, retiring in 1999. Amongst other works he was responsible for the West Wing of the Guildhall
(1974) and the Guildhall Art Gallery
1999. Both buildings contrast with the Gothic architecture of the Guildhall, the West Wing being in a modernist
tradition, and the Art Gallery being in the post-modern
tradition. His father was in charge of restoring the Guildhall after World War II.
A comprehensive list of Richard Gilbert Scott's designs:
- Rockware Glass, Greenford - office extension (1956-58)
- St Mark's Church, Biggin Hill (1957-59)
- Cotts House, City of London - office building (1960-62)
- National Central Library & Library Association, London WC1 - offices and book stack (1960-63)
- Reconstruction plan around London Guildhall, (phases 1-5) (1960-65)
- Whitelands College, Putney - teaching and hostel buildings (1961-1965)
- Forth Road Bridge and subsidiary bridges: Consultant Architect (1964-67)
- Church of Our Lady, Tile Cross,......