Richard Glynn Vivian
(1835 - 1910) was the founder of the Glynn Vivian Art Gallery
Born on 31 August 1835, Richard was the fourth and youngest son of industrialist John Henry Vivian
and his wife Sarah, daughter of Arthur Jones, of Reigate
. He graduated from Cambridge University as M.A. He was a burgess of Swansea and a Deputy Lieutenant.
He married, on 11 March 1885, Laura Hermione Beatrice, the only daughter of Henry Craigie Halkett, who divorced him on 6 June 1891.
Richard inherited a quarter of his father's copper business, Vivian & Sons
, but rather than get involved in the copper industry, he chose to pursue the arts and travel. He collected many works of art at his home, Sketty Hall
. He suddenly became almost blind in March 1902, an event described in his book, E Tenebris Lux
, dictated in 1906. He then donated his art collection to Swansea Corporation, which at his expense erected the Glynn Vivian Art Gallery to house it. Vivian laid the foundation stone on 14 May 1909 but died childless at his London home on 7 June 1910, just over a year before the Gallery was opened by his brother Graham.