The Riley RM Series
was the last automobile
series developed independently by Riley
. RM vehicles were produced from 1945, after the Second World War, through the 1952 merger of the Riley's Nuffield Organisation
to form BMC
. They were originally made in Coventry, but in 1949 production moved to the MG works at Abingdon.
There were three types of RM vehicles produced. The RMA was a large saloon
, and was replaced by the RME. The RMB was an even larger car, and was replaced by the RMF. The RMC and RMD were limited-production roadsters
All of the RM vehicles featured the pre-war Riley designed 1.5 L (1496 cc) 12 hp (RAC Rating) or 16 hp (RAC Rating) 2.5 L "Big Four" straight-4
engines with twin camshafts mounted high at the sides of the cylinder block and hemispherical combustion chambers.
The RMA was the first post-war Riley. It used the 1.5 L engine and was equipped with hydro-mechanical brakes and an independent suspension
using torsion bars in front. The frame was made of wood in the English tradition, and the car featured traditional styling. The car was capable of reaching . The RMA was produced from 1945 until 1952 when it was replaced by the RME
The RMB was an enlarged RMA and was launched a year later in 1946. It used the 2.5 L (2443 cc) "Big Four" engine with twin SU carburettors, starting with 90 hp (67 kW) but... Read More