The RMS Viceroy of India was an ocean liner that was owned and operated by the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company Ltd. of Great Britain.
A Royal Mail Ship
, thus permitted to use the prefix "RMS", she was named in honour of the Viceroy of India
. During World War II she was converted to and used as a troopship. The Viceroy of India
was sunk in November 1942 by German U-boat U-407. Her service was succeeded by SS Chusan
from 1950 to 1978.
Design and construction
RMS Viceroy of India
was laid down in April 1927 at the shipyard of Alexander Stephen & Sons
. Originally ordered under the name Taj Mahal
, she was designed for the prestigious Bombay
service of the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company
(P & O). and was only the third vessel in the world at that time to have revolutionary turbo-electric machinery.
The accommodation aboard was regarded as luxurious by the standards of the time. The first class staterooms were especially sumptuous, although standards were high in all classes on this ship. All cabins were single berth with interconnecting doors, with extra rooms for servants who often travelled with colonial families.
Much of the interior decoration was designed by the Honourable Elsie Mackay
, the daughter of James Mackay, 1st Earl of Inchcape
, who was the chairman of P & O from 1914 until his death in 1932.
Launch and commissioning
Appropriately RMS Viceroy of India
was launched on 15 September 1928 by Dorothy,... Read More