, is one of Cardiff's most popular parks, owned by Cardiff County Council
and managed by the Parks Section. It retains a classic Victorian
atmosphere and has many facilities. The park has recently been awarded the prestigious Green Flag award
to recognise its high quality and its importance to Cardiff
. Roath Park has widely diverse environments across the park.
The park was built on of reformed bogland
, known then as a malarial bog, and includes a lake around, formed by the damming of the Nant Fawr stream. It is a popular facility for fishing and rowing. There are four islands within a conservation area, home to many water birds
. The main park includes a large playground, floral displays, the glasshouse conservatory
and recreational areas.
Roath park occupies a long strip of land stretching from Cyncoed
in the north to Roath
towards the southeast. The park is divided into several parts along the Roath Brook, Nant Fawr. From north to south; The Wild Gardens, Roath Park Lake, Botanical Gardens, Rose Gardens, Pleasure Gardens, Roath Park Recreation Ground, Roath Brook Gardens, Roath Mill Gardens and Waterloo Gardens.
The land for Roath Park was donated by the Marquis of Bute
to the city in 1887. The park was officially opened to the public in 1894. Work initially focused on creating the lake from an area of marshland. In 1915 a lighthouse
was constructed in the lake containing a scale model of the 'Terra Nova
' ship to commemorate......