Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns Ltd
) was a locomotive builder with works in North East England
The company was formed in September 1937 when Robert Stephenson and Company
, which was based in Darlington
took over the locomotive building department of Hawthorn Leslie and Company
, based in Newcastle upon Tyne
. The goodwill
locomotive builders Kitson & Co.
was obtained in 1938.
RSH locomotive numbering began at 6939, this being the first number following the sum total of locomotives built by Robert Stephenson & Co. and Hawthorn Leslie, (6938).
RSH became part of English Electric
Locomotive building at the Newcastle upon Tyne works ended in 1961 and at Darlington in 1964.
RSH entered the diesel locomotive
market in November 1937 with a "direct reversing" locomotive fitted with a Crossley two-stroke
engine. There was no reversing gearbox and the diesel engine
itself was reversible, as in marine practice. When starting, in either direction, power was supplied by compressed air
until the engine fired . One of these locomotives, Beryl
(RSH 7697/1953), is preserved at the Tanfield Railway
<gallery>Image:NTHC and BCM 017.JPG|An example of the powerful Ugly class is No. 63 "Corby" based at the Nottingham Transport Heritage Centre
, it is now stored awaiting costly boiler... Read More