The hall is divided into 3 houses: Wilson, More and Fisher. All 3 houses are named in honour of John Fisher, Thomas More and Malcolm Wilson. Wilson and More houses accommodates for 67 residents while Fisher house accommodates for 42 students. As of 2009, there are 4 Resident assistants, with 2 residing in More and 1 residing in each of Wilson and Fisher.
Rochester and Rutherford is an amalgamation of the Rochester Hall (1956) and Rutherford Hall (1972), from which the present day hall was created when the University of Canterbury moved from its central Christchurchcampus out to the present day Ilam campus.
Other Halls of Residence at University of Canterbury