In 1270, Henry III strengthened the castle with the addition of a twin D-tower gatehouse. But less than a century later Edward III became the last monarch to visit the castle while it was possessed by The Crown.
By the late 15th century Rockingham Castle had fallen into disrepair. Edward Watson (founder of the Watson Family dynasty) acquired the castle from Henry VIII. Parts of the castle were subsequently replaced with a Tudor house with gardens. The former royal castle became a hunting lodge for the nobility.