is a small island on the Parramatta River
. It lies in the centre of Iron Cove
, between the suburbs of Drummoyne
, Russell Lea
, Rodd Point
. It is located west of the Sydney Harbour
upstream and the Harbour Bridge
. Today the island is uninhabited, and forms part of the Sydney Harbour National Park
. The island has had various other names over its history: Rabbit Island, Rhode Island, Snake Island and Jack Island.
The island is named after Brent Clements Rodd
, who had a long association with the island and the local area. He first attempted to buy the island from the government in 1842. The Rodd family, who lived on the western shore of Iron Cove
in what is now the suburb of Rodd Point
, used the island for recreation. Rodd tried again to purchase the island in 1859 and even put down a deposit of 17 pounds on it. However, the transaction was never completed and the island eventually became part of the first public recreation reserve in Sydney Harbour in 1879. Despite being a solicitor, Rodd
managed neither to purchase the island, nor to have his deposit refunded.
Between 1888 and 1894, the island was used as a laboratory by scientists working for the Pasteur Institute
, who were researching the use of the chicken cholera
microbe to control Australia's rabbit
population. Louis Pasteur
sent his nephew, Doctor Adrien Loir
to conduct the experimentation in Australia and facilities were constructed on the island.......