The Phantom II
replaced the New Phantom
's offerings in 1929.
It shared the 7.7 L (7668 cc/467 in³) pushrod
engine from its predecessor, being the last large six-cylinder Rolls. The engine was unitary with a 4-speed manual transmission
was added on gears 3 and 4 in 1932 and on gear 2 in 1935.Semi-elliptical
springs suspended the front and, in a change from its predecessor, the rear. 4-wheel servo-assisted brakes were also specified.
Phantom II's were also produced, including 125 left-hand drive versions. In all 1,281 chassis left the factory.
Regarded as the two most important P-II Continentals are 20MS and 2SK, the only two P-II Continental Roadsters ever built. 20MS has been in a private Mid-Atlantic collection since 1989, 2SK, the Thrupp and Maberly Roadster once owned by Tyrone Power, has been in the Fred Buess collection since 1958. Neither car has ever been offered to the public.
Only the chassis and mechanical parts were made by Rolls-Royce. The body was made and fitted by a coachbuilder
selected by the owner. Some of the most famous coachbuilders who produced bodies for Rolls Royce cars are Park Ward
, Thrupp & Maberly
, and Hooper
Phantom II in films
The Phantom II was featured in the films: The Sorcerer's Apprentice
and Indiana Jones and the Last...