The Rolls-Royce Wraith
was built by Rolls-Royce
at their Derby factory from 1938 to 1939 and supplied to independent coachbuilders
as a running chassis.
The in-line six cylinder, overhead valve, 4257 cc engine was based on that of the 25/30
but featured a cross-flow cylinder head. The four speed gearbox had synchromesh on second, third and fourth speeds and retained the traditional right hand change.
The Wraith featured an independent coil sprung front suspension based on a Packard
120 retaining semi elliptical leaf springs on the rear axle. The hydraulic dampers at the front had their damping rate controlled by governor and so varied with the speed of the car, making it superior to its predecessor, the 25/30 H.P. and on par with the Phantom III
. The car was still built on a separate chassis but this was now of welded rather than the traditional riveted construction. The drum brakes were assisted by a mechanical servo driven by the engine patented by Hispano-Suiza and built by Rolls-Royce under licence. Wire wheels of 17 inch diameter were fitted, with the spokes usually covered by removable discs. A built in hydraulic jacking system was fitted operated by a lever under the passenger seat.
The car could reach but this was very dependent on the weight and style of body fitted. On test by "The Motor
" magazine in October 1938 a 0-50 mph time of 16.4 seconds was recorded.
In 1938 the chassis cost £1100 and a... Read More