The Roman CatholicArchdiocese of Samoa-Apia consists of the Independent State of Samoa. The origins of the archdiocese stem from the August 20, 1850 canonical erection by the Holy See of the Vicariate Apostolic of the Navigators' Archipelago, entrusted to the Society of Mary . On January 4, 1957, the Vatican changed the name of the Vicariate Apostolic to Samoa and the Tokelau Islands. On June 21, 1966, the vicariate apostolic was elevated to the Diocese of Apia, and made suffragan to the metropolitan see of Suva, Fiji. On August 10, 1974, the name of the diocese was changed to Diocese of Apia o Samoa and Tokelau. On December 3, 1975, the name of the diocese was changed to Diocese of Samoa and Tokelau. On September 10, 1982, the diocese was elevated to the dignity of archdiocese taking the name of the See city, Apia. Simultaneously, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Samoa-Pago Pago was created from a portion of the former Diocese of Samoa Tokelau and made suffragan to the metropolitan see of Apia.