<!-- Image with unknown copyright status removed: -->The Diocese of Youngstown
is a particular church
of the Roman Catholic Church
, consisting of six counties in Northeast Ohio
, and Ashtabula
As of 2003, the Diocese of Youngstown has 116 parishes, 158 Diocesan Priests, 22 Religious Priests, 68 Permanent Deacons, 45 Religious Men, 229 Religious Women. As of 2007, the diocese has 14 seminarians studying in several seminaries and at different levels of formation. There are approximately 250,000 Catholics within the diocesan limits.
On May 28, 2010, Bishop George V. Murry, S.J. announced the plan for the reconfiguration of parishes. The number of parishes will be reduced to 87 over the next two years.
The Diocese of Youngstown was created from the Diocese of Cleveland
in 1943 by Pope Pius XII
. Bishop James A. McFadden
(former auxiliary bishop
of Cleveland) was named its first bishop
and St. Columba Church on the North Side of Youngstown became the Cathedral
. The new diocese comprised and featured 110 churches, three hospitals run by religious orders, 54 parochial elementary schools, one parochial junior high school, and three Catholic high schools.McFadden, James A. The March of the Eucharist from Dungannon
(Youngstown, OH: Diocese of Youngstown, 1951), p. 22
When Bishop McFadden died on November 16,... Read More