Romney Sands Railway Station
is a station on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway
. It is located on the bleakest part of the Romney Marsh
, a shingle peninsula.
The station opened in May 1928 and was originally named "Maddieson's Camp" after the adjacent holiday camp which it served. The pre-war station consisted of nothing more than station name boards. After the Second World War the double track mainline was reduced to single track, and a single concrete platform was provided. There were no other changes until 1973.
In 1973, the decision was made to install a passing loop to enable the operation of an hourly train service between New Romney
; however, the site had insufficient space. The station was therefore re-located to the other side of the holiday camp entrance road. The passing loop was installed during the winter of 1973-1974, together with an island platform and a booking office (the first ever station building at this site).
Although the holiday camp still operates, following a change of ownership it is no longer known as Maddieson's Camp. Consequently the railway station was renamed Romney Sands around 1980.
War Department Branch Line
Between 1929 and 1951, Romney Sands was a junction
, with a branch line curving away inland from south of the station. This line was constructed at the request of the War Office
and provided a train service to a secret military installation working on acoustic aircraft......