The Roseland Peninsula
, or just Roseland
, is a district of west Cornwall
in the United Kingdom
. Roseland is located in the south of the county and contains the town of St Mawes
and villages such as St Just
and Gerrans. It is a peninsula, separated from the remainder of Cornwall by the River Fal
(on the east is the English Channel).
Where the peninsula begins continues to be a point of discussion amongst local historians and long-time Roseland inhabitants. The village of Tregony might be considered to be outside the Roseland. If travelling by road one enters the Roseland at the bottom of Tregony Hill by either driving up Reskivers Hill to take the road to St. Mawes and Gerrans, or by taking the lower road to Ruan Lanihorne.
History and geography
- John Norden
In 1584 map maker, John Norden
, wrote, 'The peninsula is called by the pretty name of Roseland, being derived from Rhos, the Celtic word for heath or gorse.' He goes on to say that, "Roseland is a circuit of land lying between the creek of Falmouth haven and the sea."
Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall
- John Whitaker
(1870) includes Revd John Whitaker
’s, discussion of the Roseland when dealing with Philleigh parish. He notes that the villages of Veryan and Ruanlanihorne each has its church in a valley, the area which would have been inhabited first as the valleys were more sheltered and benefited from soil washed down from the hillsides. At the top of the hills lay an extensive heath (or... Read More