Rosenborg Castle Gardens
(Danish: Kongens Have
literally The King's Garden
) is Copenhagen
's oldest and most visited park with 2.5 million visitors per year.
The Renaissance gardens
In 1606 Christian IV
acquired land outside Copenhagen and established a pleasure garden
in Renaissance style
. It had a relatively small pavilion which was later expanded into present day Rosenborg Castle
, a name it received in 1624.In 1634, Charles Ogier
, secretary to the French ambassador to Denmark, compared it to the Tuileries Garden
. A drawing by Otto Heiders from 1649, the oldest dated garden plan from Denmark, provides knowledge about the lauout of the original garden. The garden was dominated by three main paths, Kavalergangen
(English: The Gentlemen's Path)and Damegangen
(ENglish:The Lady's Path) which still exist today, and a third now gone path across which extended at a right angle from the castle's gable. The garden also had statues, a fountain and pavilions while its plants included mulberries
, wine, apples, pears, and lavender.
The Baroque gardens
In the first half of the 18th century, Johan Cornelius Krieger
redesigned the gardens into the Batoque style. In 1737 he also built the new orangery.
The Rosenborg Castle, one of Christian IV's
many architectural projects, was originally built as a country summerhouse in 1606, and until around 1710, was used as a royal......