The northern portion of the present Route 27 is nearly identical to the No. 25 streetcar line that operated during Baltimore's streetcar era. The Hampden line in Baltimore was the first electric streetcar that operated in the United States. The no. 25 designation was used for service on Falls Road up until 1959. Service on Falls Road was provided by Route 10 between 1959 and 1982, then by Route 27 since 1982.
The no. 25 streetcar started operating in 1897. The initial route of the line was along the Falls Road corridor (current location of the Baltimore Streetcar Museum). The ultimate goal of the construction of... Read More