Streetcars on Route 17 provided service along St. Paul Street during the streetcar era of Baltimore. At this time, the Loch Raven Boulevard corridor was mostly undeveloped. Bus service along Loch Raven did not begin to operate until 1940, when Route T was introduced. This line operated along Loch Raven and 33rd Street as far north as Northwood.
The no. 3 designation was not used for any part of this route until 1947. The no. 3 designation was previously used in Baltimore transit history for a streetcar line that operated along Linden Avenue that would eventually be extended to Halethorpe along the Wilkens Avenue corridor. As the Linden Avenue section would later become a part of the no. 5 streetcar, bus route 3 would later serve Halethorpe.
The no. 3 Baynesville to downtown bus... Read More