The Route 36 designation has been used for the north end of this route since 1947 without Route 36 being one of the first bus routes in the Baltimore area not to have a streetcar origin. The only portion of the north end of this line to have been served by a streetcar was the section along Guilford Avenue, where the No. 1 Streetcar line ran from 1895 to 1947 as an elevated streetcar.
The south end was not a part of this route until it annexed the southern portion of Route 11 in 2008. Prior to that, the corridor had been served by the No. 27 streetcar (no relationship to the current Bus Route 27) from 1905 to 1938. This was converted to the No. 27 electric trolley bus, which operated from 1938 to 1957, which operated along with the No. 52 bus, which operated up to Harman Street.... Read More