is a municipality
in the district of Lugano
in the canton
Rovio is first mentioned in 852 as Rovi
Five fire pits from about 1000 BC were discovered within the municipal area, as well as remains from the Iron Age
and the Roman era
. In 1213 the Vicinanza
which included Rovio village came under the Pieve
of Riva San Vitale
. In 1517, the entire Pieve became part of the bailiwick
of Lugano. In 1798, it joined the short-lived Republic of Riva San Vitale.
It was part of the parish
of Riva San Vitale until 1213 when it became an independent parish. The parish church
of SS Vitale e Agata was first mentioned in that same year. Between the end of the 16th Century and 1613, it was rebuilt. The romanesque Oratory
of San Vigilio was built in the first half of the 11th Century.
Agriculture, livestock and vineyards were the main sources of income. Due to lack of farming land, many residents also emigrated as construction workers and craftsmen. Since the 1960s many new houses have been built. In 2000, more than three quarters of workers in Rivio were commuters, with the majority going to Lugano
Rovio has an area, , of . Of this area, or 9.4% is used for agricultural purposes, while or 78.7% is forested. Of the rest of the land, or 6.3% is settled (buildings or roads), or 0.2% is either rivers or lakes and or 7.6% is unproductive land.
Of the... Read More