The Royal Air Force Club
(often referred to as the RAF Club
) is situated at 128 Piccadilly
. While it is sometimes referred to as a gentlemen's club
, membership is open to men and women who hold or have held commissions in the RAF
, Reserve Forces and Commonwealth
and friendly foreign air forces.
The Royal Air Force Club was founded in 1918 when the first Lord Cowdray
donated funds to obtain a permanent building which would house the Club. The buildings, still in use today, were acquired by the middle of 1919 (the Piccadilly frontage was originally the Ladies Lyceum Club, while the rear half, facing Old Park Lane, was stables). Between 1919 and 1921 extensive reconstruction took place supervised by architect Maurice Webb
and largely financed by Lord Cowdray. On 24 February 1922 the Club was formally opened by HRH The Duke of York
As of 2010, a year's membership subscription costs half of one day's wages for serving, or retired RAF officers. For non-RAF personnel, membership is around £200 per year.
- Henry Probert & Michael Gilbert, 128: The Story of the Royal Air Force Club, Royal Air Force Club, 2004. ISBN 0-9547849-0-1.