The Royal Melbourne Hospital
(RMH), located in Parkville, Victoria
an inner suburb of Melbourne
is one of Australia’s leading public hospitals. It is a major teaching hospital for tertiary health care with a reputation in clinical research. The hospital is managed as part of Melbourne Health
which comprises The Royal Melbourne Hospital, North West Dialysis Service and North Western Mental Health.
Established in 1848 as the Melbourne Hospital, it was one of Melbourne's leading hospitals. Originally located on the corner of Swanston and Lonsdale Streets, Melbourne, in 1935 the hospital was renamed The Royal Melbourne Hospital and, in 1944 it moved to Grattan Street, Parkville by provision of lands in the Royal Melbourne Hospital Act.
The Royal Women's Hospital
was previously located in Carlton, Melbourne. The hospital moved in late 2008 to a new building, the new Royal Women's Hospital, co-located on the Royal Melbourne Hospital site in Parkville.
World War II
During World War II, the Parkville hospital, which was under construction, was occupied by the US Army 4th General Hospital
between 1942 and 1944. While the hospital was under construction a temporary tent hospital was set up by the US Army in Royal Park just north of the hospital. Upon completion of the Parkville Hospital the patients were moved progressively into the new accommodation which catered for 2,900 beds.
The Royal Melbourne Hospital continued to operate from their old premises on the corner of... Read More