The Ruislip Lido Railway
is a gauge miniature railway around Ruislip Lido
, west of central London
. Running from the main station at Woody Bay by the lido's beach, on a track around the reservoir, the railway passes through Ruislip Woods
to Ruislip Lido station near the Water's Edge restaurant and the lido's car park. There are two disused stations (formally termini
) on the line: Eleanor’s Loop and Haste Hill. The Woody Bay to Wellington Junction section of the railway features a double track, with passing loops
at Eleanor’s Loop and Haste Hill thereby allowing two-train operation. There is a level crossing
between Haste Hill and Ruislip Lido stations.
Originally built by the Grand Union Canal Company over a much shorter route, the line has been extended in recent years and now covers over two thirds of the perimeter of the reservoir. Following several years of decline under the ownership of the local council, the railway has been operated by a voluntary society since 1979.
|}<noinclude>The railway was built in 1945 by the Grand Union Canal Company
as part of Ruislip Lido, with short trains hauled by the Atlantic-type steam locomotive, Prince Albert
. Built along the south-east shore of the reservoir, where a beach had been created, control of the lido passed to Ruislip-Northwood Urban District Council
(RNUDC) when the Grand Union was nationalised in 1948 to become part of British Waterways
.<ref name="RLR... Read More