) was an armoured cruiser
built for the Imperial Russian Navy
Design and construction
She is unusual in that she was built by Vickers
in Barrow in Furness
, England. Laid down August 1905, launched 4 November 1906, completed July 1909. The Russian Navy was not usually a customer of British shipyards. She is named in honour of Rurik
, the semi-legendary founder of ancient Russia.
Unlike her previous namesake, Rurik
, she has been described as one of the best armoured cruisers built, with advanced sprinkler protection for the magazines. She was designed by KA Tennison and AP Titov, and the contract was arranged by Basil Zaharoff
. The ship had a prolonged work-up while defects were rectified.
There was a plan to build two more ships in Russia, but this was cancelled after the first battlecruiser, HMS Invincible
, entered service.
The main armament consisted of four guns in two turrets, in four twin turrets located at the corners of the superstructure. These guns were built by Vickers. The anti-torpedo boat armament comprised twenty 120 mm guns in casemates. There were also four guns and two torpedo tubes.
Gunnery trials revealed that the fastenings on the and barbettes were insufficiently strong and were deformed... Read More