Saffron Walden Town F.C.
is an English
football club based in Saffron Walden
. The club are currently without a league after withdrawing from the Eastern Counties League
in August 2011. They play at Catons Lane.
The club was established as Saffron Walden
in 1872 and are the oldest senior football club in Essex
. They entered thev FA Cup
, but withdrew after being drawn against holders Wanderers
as they could not afford to travel. Two years later they made their first appearance, losing 5–0 to Upton Park
in the first round.
In 1882 the club were founder members of the Essex County Football Association
. In 1890 club secretary Arthur Smith, the headmaster of the local Boy's National School, negotiated an annual fee of £3 with Lord Braybrooke for the use of a piece of land in Loft's Lane; previously the club had played on the town common, but had been unable to charge spectators an entrance fee. The club reached the final of the Essex Junior Cup in 1894–94, but lost 3–0 to Barking Excelsior. In 1896–97 they reached the final again, beating Leytonstone
6–1 in a replay.
In 1899 they entered the Haverhill and District League, which they won in 1907–08, 1922–23, 1923–24, 1928–29, 1929–30 and 1933–34. The club also entered the Stansted and District League, the Cambridgeshire League
and Hertfordshire and Essex Border League during the same era, winning the Stanstead & District League on... Read More