is a village
of 1,979 people (November 2005) in the southeast of Malta
, near Zurrieq
Little documentation exists about the origins of Ħal Safi village. However, from some of the existing remains, it appears that thousands of years ago, Neolithic
people built their houses on the same land which is today occupied by Ħal Safi residents. The Phoenicians
and the Romans
also lived here years later.
The formation of the village as known today goes back to about seven hundred years. The village of Ħal Safi was surrounded by four other major villages. Farmers and peasants used to meet there for a chat on their way back home from work. Later a niche was erected there,and in time,as people began to settle in the vicinity, a new village started taking shape.
In 1417, the village was already known as Ħal Safi. According to the 1419 records of the Standing Army (id-Dejma), between eighty and ninety people were considered as village residents. The main occupation of the major part of the residents was farming - breeding of sheep
The origin of the village's name cannot be determined conclusively. Some historians have concluded that the name was derived from the PURE (Safi) AIR of the village. Others insisted that the village was named Ħal Safi since none of its residents was contaminated when an epidemic infected the whole country. Both its coat of arms (a horizontal light-blue stripe on a silver background) and its motto (Sine Macula)... Read More