Saint Bernard's High School
was a private
, Roman Catholic high school
in Saint Paul, Minnesota
. The High School, along with an elementary school that served pre-kindergarten to eighth grade, also closed, were both part of the Church of Saint Bernard
, which is adjacent to the former school building (now used to house the International School of Excellence). The Parish and Grade School were founded in 1891, with the high school being opened in 1957.
Saint Bernard's School was located in the north end of Saint Paul, Minnesota
near the intersection of Rice Street and Maryland Street, north of the state capitol. Being a non-public school, Saint Bernard's was part of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis.
Saint Bernard's Parish and Saint Bernard's grade school were both founded in 1891. At that time, the school was run by three benedictine sisters, and students would sit on the kneelers in the church and use the pews as desks. At its peak, Saint Bernard's grade school was the largest catholic grade school west of Chicago
. The original school building was built shortly after the school's founding, and in 1905 the current church building was built. In 1957, demand for a secondary school was answered with the addition of a high school. In 1959 the former high school building, adjacent to the original school building (both of which are still standing), used by the grade school until 2009, as well as the church, was constructed. <br /> Unfortunately,... Read More