Saint Raymond's Cemetery
is a Roman Catholic
cemetery at 2600 Lafayette Avenue in the Throggs Neck
section of The Bronx, New York City
. The cemetery is composed of two separate locations: the older section (main entrance is located at 1201 Balcom Avenue), located west of the Hutchinson River Parkway
; and the newer section (where most present-day burials now take place), which is east of the Parkway. The Bronx–Whitestone Bridge
is located adjacent to the cemetery
's newer section, while the neighboring Throgs Neck Bridge
can be seen from a distance.
The cemetery is owned and operated by the Archdiocese of New York. It is the only Catholic cemetery in the Bronx and is one of the busiest cemeteries in the United States with nearly 4,000 burials each year. The cemetery provides in-ground burials, in-ground crypt burials in the new Holy Cross section, Mausoleum burials and niches for cremains and burials in the base of the gigantic granite Cross located in the Holy Cross section. There is also a special Garden of Innocents
where still-born and young babies are laid to rest. A portion of the St. Peters section was set aside in 1964 for the burial of the Archdiocese's clergymen.
The cemetery land was originally the "Underhill Farm of Throgg's Neck
." It was purchased and consecrated by the forward-thinking Rev. Michael B. McEvoy, pastor from 1875 to 1885 of St. Raymond's Church
, who bought the land and utilized it... Read More