The Salt Lake City and County Building
, usually called the "City-County Building", is the seat of government for Salt Lake City
. The historic landmark formerly housed offices for Salt Lake County
government as well, hence the name.
The building was originally constructed by free masons between 1891 and 1894 to house offices for the city and county of Salt Lake and replace the Salt Lake City Council Hall
and Salt Lake County Courthouse, both erected in the 1860s.
Construction of the building was riddled with controversy. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries the City and County Building was the symbol of non-Mormon citizens' open defiance of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
. It was designed to rival the Salt Lake Temple
as the city's architectural
centerpiece. It is even thought that the building's clock tower
and statues were designed to mimic the temple's spires and statue of the angel Moroni
. Ironically, the building was originally the 1880s brainchild of the Church-backed "People's Party
." When the non-Mormon "Liberal Party
" was campaigning for city government, they deemed the proposed "joint building" an example of the Church's extravagance and wastefulness. In a reversal of stance, the Liberals decided to go ahead with the building when they finally gained power in 1890. Construction began in February on State Street at about 100 South.
For nebulous reasons, construction was halted that... Read More