<!-- Unsourced image removed: -->San Fabiano
is a 13th century castle and wine producing farm estate in Monteroni d'Arbia
, built by king Charles of Anjou
. A church on the estate dates to 867 AD and is dedicated to Pope Fabian
, one of the first Christian martyrs killed in the Coliseum
. It is adjacent to two rivers, the Arbia River
and the Biena River
, and surrounded by of vineyards, oak forests, durum wheat
fields and corn fields.
The estate's vineyard produces Bianco d’Arbia
wine, a D.O.C.
wine made with Trebbiano
grapes, and a red wine made from San Giovese
grapes. In total some 1,000 bottles per year are currently produced.
When Count Giuseppe Fiorentini
bought the San Fabiano farm estate, there were some 300 people farming the land, producing 180,000 liters of wine yearly, breeding Chianina
cows, producing meat for the local specialty, the Fiorentina steak, pigs, pheasants and chickens. In 1956, Fiorentini acquired better equipment and reduced the agricultural activities to a core business of crops.
In 1963, the Italian government introduced drastic reforms of the agricultural regulations, requiring estate owners and landlords to hire the farmers working the land, and pay them a salary. The national reform ended the centennial rules of mezzadria
, a system where landowners could have farmers (contadini
) living in the farmhouses and working the land, splitting the output of their work 50/50 with the landlord instead of paying rent and receiving... Read More