Sandringham is a quiet residential suburb on the western shore of Botany Bay, at the mouth of the Georges River. Cook Park runs along the eastern and southern border and the beach stretches from Dolls Point to Sandringham Bay. The Georges River Sailing Club sits on the foreshore. A small group of shops is located at the intersection of Clareville Avenue and Russell Avenue, on the border with Sans Souci and Sandringham. It includes Sans Souci Library, grocery shop, liquor shop, chemist, hairdresser, take-away shops and a café.
Sandringham was originally known as Strippers Point in the 1830s, from the local occupation of tree-felling and bark-stripping. William Rust, bought a grand house on Rocky Point Road at Sans Souci from Thomas Holt (1811-88), which he turned into a luxurious hotel. Later, he moved to Strippers Point renamed it Sandringham and built the Prince of Wales Hotel. As an ardent royalist, it is thought he chose the name to honour Edward VII, the Prince of Wales who in 1872 was also building a royal residence at Sandringham, in Norfolk, England.