The Santa Monica Museum of Art
(SMMoA) is an independent non-collecting art museum located in Santa Monica, California
. It exhibits the work of local, national, and international contemporary artists.
Founded in 1984 by Abby Sher, the museum strives to " the art of our time through exhibitions and related programs that embrace diverse aesthetic, cultural, and ideological perspectives." In its main space and two project rooms, SMMoA offers temporary exhibitions organized by in—house curators and guest curators from around the world. Related public programs include: artist talks, educational workshops for all ages, film screenings, concerts, and other art-related events.
The museum’s mission statement: "Through its exhibitions, education, and outreach programs, the Santa Monica Museum of Art fosters diversity, innovation, and discovery in contemporary art – local, national, and international."
The museum is in the Bergamot Station Arts Center
- Open: Tuesday-Saturday, 11 am to 6 pm
- Closed: Sunday, Monday and all legal holidays
- Official Website
- Review of Allen Ruppersberg exhibition
- Review of Nicole Cherubini exhibition
- Review of the collaboration by Kim Shoenstadt and Rita McBride
- LAWeekly article on the Santa Monica Museum of Art, May 5, 2008