The Sapperton Tunnels
are located about seven miles East South East of Stroud
The railway tunnel was begun by the Cheltenham and Great Western Union railway in 1839 and taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1843, being completed in 1845.
There are three in total: the Sapperton Canal Tunnel
at 2 miles 288 yards (3482m), and the two Sapperton railway tunnels, the longest being 1 mile 104 yards (1704m) in length,
The canal tunnel was formerly the fourth longest canal tunnel in the country (after Standedge, Yorkshire, 3 miles 418 yards (5210m); Strood, Kent, 2 miles 492 yards (3669m); and Lapal, on the edge of the Black Country near Halesowen, 2 miles 297 yards (3490m)). It was the biggest engineering feature of the Thames & Severn Canal, and the longest tunnel of any kind in England between 1789 and 1811, but has but now fallen into disrepair.
The Sapperton railway tunnels, which follow a similar route, are on the Golden Valley Line