The Sarajevo Canton
is a canton
of the Federation
in Bosnia and Herzegovina
. The capital is Sarajevo
The Canton is basically the metro area of the city it is named after that is inside the Federation
. It contains 98% of Sarajevo's population, but a much smaller percentage of the official land area.
The history of Sarajevo Canton dates back to Neolithic
times, when the Butmir
culture made its mountains and hills their home. In ancient times, the Canton was occupied by the Illyrians
. The local tribe, the Daesitates, controlled most of the area. They were a warlike bunch and the last Illyrian tribe to resist Roman rule, which finally came in AD
9. Under Roman rule, many roads were constructed in the region, as well as a city on top of modern day Ilidža
. During the Middle Ages, the area of Sarajevo Canton was a key part of the Bosnian Kingdom. The city of Vrhbosna existed somewhere in the region and was one of the most important cities at the time.
True development of the region came after the Ottoman
conquest when local Muslim
noble Isa-Beg Isaković
established the roots of the modern city of Sarajevo
, between 1461 and 1463. The region grew along with the city, which quickly, after Istanbul, became the most important in the Balkans. Later rule by Austria-Hungary
modernized and westernized the region. Under Yugoslavia
, the Yugoslavian government further developed the area, which more than tripled in size. Much of this progress was offset however by the......