was the designation given to the regular Libyan cavalry
regiments of the Italian colonial army
. The word "savari" was derived from a Persian term for "horsemen" ( Savārān
First raised in December 1912, these units were recruited from the Arab
population of the two territories following the Italian occupation in 1911-12. The officers of the fourteen squadrons (twelve "regular line" and two "command") comprising these corps were nearly all Italian. Their troopers and some of the non-commissioned officers were Berber and Arab volunteers, who had a long tradition of horsemanship.
Seven squadrons were recruited from Tripolitania
and five from Cyrenica
in the 1930s .
Each squadron was distinguished by a distinctively coloured sash
and farmula (sleeveless jacket) worn with white or khaki
uniforms according to occasion. Sash and farmula colours were yellow, black, crimson, blue, green, red and orange, worn in various combinations according to the unit. Dark red "tachia" fez
of traditional Libyan pattern were worn by all Muslim personnel.
The Savari formed part of the Regio Corpo Truppe Coloniali della Libia
(Royal Corps of Libyan Colonial Troops or RCTL), which included desert and camel troops
, infantry battalions,... Read More