They were founded in 1902 as Section Paloise de la Ligue Girondine before adopting their current name in 1905. Section Paloise first joined the French first division in 1911, and were crowned champions for the first time in 1928. "La Section" have won the French Championship on three occasions, the last being in 1964. They have, however, reached the semi-finals of the Heineken Cup and Top 14 as recently as 1998 and 2000, respectively. Section Paloise also added to their trophy case in 2000, winning the European Challenge Cup. At the end of the 2004/5 season, "La Section" survived a play-off game with Aurillac to remain in the Top 14. However, they were relegated the following season, and are now playing in Pro D2. The club colors are green and white and their home ground is the Stade du Hameau (capacity 13,819). They are currently sponsored by French petroleum company Total.