is an airport located in Natori, Miyagi
, south southeast of Sendai Station
In 1940, the Imperial Japanese Army
built Sendai Airport in order to use it for the Kumakaya Army Flight School, Masda Branch School Trainee Training Center. It was called by several names: Natory Airfield, Masda Airfield, and Yatory Airfield. In 1943, the Miho Army Flight Center moved into Sendai Airport and facilities were expanded and later reformed into Sendai Army Flight School.
At the end of World War II
, the United States Army
took control of the airport and its operations. In 1956, it was returned to Japan and transferred to the The Ministry of Defense
. The Ministry of Transport
was designated to administer and use it.
In 1957, the runway was extended to and Nippon Helicopter Transport (now All Nippon Airways
) established a route from Tokyo's (Haneda Airport
) to Sendai. In 1963, All Nippon Airways Flight 802 missed its approach and crashed into the airport, but there were no fatalities. When the airport began to service commercial jets on February 14, 1970, runway B was extended to . Also, the flight school of Japan Ground Self Defense Force
moved into North Utsunomiya Army Post. Beginning 6 April 1990, Asiana Airlines
established a route to Seoul (Gimpo International Airport
) to Sendai, thus beginning international service from the airport. In 1992, Runway B was extended further to and 5 years later, in 1997, a new terminal was... Read More