Sevenoaks railway station
serves the town of Sevenoaks
. Train services are provided by Southeastern
Trains from the station run northbound to London Bridge
, Cannon Street
(direct at peak times), Waterloo East
and London Charing Cross
, to London Blackfriars
, and southbound to Ashford International
via Dover Priory
, and also Tunbridge Wells
Sevenoaks railway station was opened on 2 March 1868. It was formerly known as "Tubs Hill"
, after the adjacent area. There is a second station, on the branch to Swanley Junction
, which opened on 2 June 1862. It is named after the Bat & Ball local inn which is now closed, and serves the north end of the town.
The two lines to Sevenoaks were electrified
in January 1935. It was the first station in Britain to be rebuilt in the later well-known British Rail
red, white and blue colour scheme. When the station was reconstructed in the 1970s a new ticket office was built replacing the old wooden S.E.R. building. Two additional side platforms were also abolished.
Sevenoaks is part of the rail franchise which, post-privatisation
, was served by Connex South Eastern
. Subsequent to their 'sacking' in 2003 due to poor performance, services were operated by South Eastern Trains
, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Strategic Rail Authority
(SRA). On 1 April 2006, Southeastern
, owned by Govia
, took over management of the station as part of the new Integrated Kent......