Severn Beach railway station
serves the village of Severn Beach
. This is the terminus of the Severn Beach Line
This station is north west from Bristol Temple Meads
on the Severn Beach Line
. The station is managed by First Great Western
, who are also the sole provider of trains serving the station.
The railway reached Severn Beach in 1900, but was at first used only for goods traffic to Pilning
. A platform was built beside the line at Severn Beach by the Great Western Railway
in 1922, and a bay platform added to the west for excursion traffic, with terminating passenger services from Bristol starting on 26 May 1924, subsequently extended to in a loop back to Bristol via from 9 July 1928. By 1924 a brick concourse had been built perpendicular to the bay platform, providing a ticket office, the station master's office, toilets and a ladies' waiting room. The station master and keeper of the level crossing were also provided with houses, while to the east of the platform were sidings, primarily for stabling of excursion trains.
By the 1950s, passenger traffic at Severn Beach was declining, and in November 1964 through services to Pilning ceased,
More recently, services to Severn Beach have been cut back further, with only one in three trains to now... Read More