The Shaker Heights City School District is located in Shaker Heights, Ohio, United States, immediately east of the city of Cleveland in northeast Ohio. The system serves residents of the city of Shaker Heights and a small portion of the city of Cleveland near Shaker Square.
Shaker Heights began operating its own school system in 1910. Boulevard Elementary (1914) is the oldest building in the district; Shaker Heights Middle School (1957) (formerly known as Byron Junior High School) is the newest. The schools were designed to complement the natural and architectural beauty of Shaker Heights. Facilities include eight school buildings, mainly of Georgian design; computer labs in all schools; a planetarium; two indoor pools; playgrounds; and athletic fields. The average age of buildings currently in use is 73 years. The system is funded in large part by property tax millage levies approved by residents based upon home valuation.
Shaker Heights is considered a progressive school system in its approach to education and social balance. Shaker was among the first school systems in the United States to actively pursue school desegregation in the early 1960s by neighbors of Ludlow Elementary School. The success of that initial attempt by residents lead to voluntary busing between schools in the system in order to achieve better racial balance. As a result of these efforts, Shaker schools avoided the court ordered busing programs of the 1970s.