Town (Urdu: شالیمار ٹاؤن) is one of the oldest towns in Lahore
It is located on the Grand Trunk Road
. The town is named after The Shalimar Gardens
built by Emperor Shah Jehan
in 1640 CE. The Mela Chiraghan
festival used to take place in the Shalimar Gardens, until President Ayub Khan
ordered against it in 1958.
The settlement of this area dates back to the 15th century under the Mughal rule of India. The area was a bustling community with a large concentration of gold shops and jewellers. After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, the Hindu residents migrated to India. The area became mainly a residential quarter, heavily populated with Muslims. Shalimar town was officially declared a township of Pakistan in the year 1962 when the main attraction of the area, the Shalimar Gardens
were nationalised by General Ayub Khan.
Today Shalimar town is a semi-commercial area with all major banks located within the vicinity. The south west part of the town is residential while the rest is commercial and industrial. It is a beautiful place in Pakistan.BaghbanPura Police Station
(In front of Shalimar Garden) Operates Legal Functions of this area.
The majority of the town is Sunni
with 35%, 30% is Shia
, 05% is Ahmadi
and 10% is other including Christians
There are 4 government schools, more than 100 private schools, and 1 Madrassa located in Shalimar Town.
University of Engineering and... Read More