Ecclesall constituency covered south central Sheffield. Most of the area that made up this constituency is now included in Sheffield Heeley constituency.
The seat was created in 1885, prior to its creation the area had been part of the larger Sheffield borough constituency, which was represented by two MP. The 1885 Redistribution of Seats Act, which sought to eliminate multi-member constituencies and give greater representation to urban areas, led to the break-up of the constituency into five divisions, each represented by a single MP. Ecclesall was one of these new divisions. The seat was abolished in 1950 as part of a redrawing of the Sheffield constituency boundaries that also led to the abolition of Sheffield Central and the creation of Sheffield Heeley and Sheffield Neepsend.
Members of Parliament
The constituency was abolished in 1950. Peter Roberts... Read More