It was established as The Bengal Agricultural Institute (BAI) on December 11, 1938 by Sher-e-Bangla A.K. Fazlul Huq, the Chief Minister of undivided Bengal. Later it become East Pakistan Agricultural Institute and, on the emergence of Bangladesh as independent country in 1971, the name of this institute was spontaneously changed to Bangladesh Agricultural Institute (BAI).
Since its inception the BAI had functions as "faculty of agriculture" under Dhaka University, the BAI-affiliated college till its upgrade to Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University in 2001. On 22 June 2009, a bill was placed in the parliament to assign the president as chancellor replacing the prime minister.
There are two faculties in Sher-e-bangla Agricultural University.
Faculty of Agriculture
Faculty of Agribusiness Management
Departments under the Faculty of Agriculture
Department of Agronomy
Department of Horticulture
Department of Soil Science
Department of Agricultural Botany
Department of Agricultural Extension and Information System
Department of Entomology
Department of Genetics and Plant Breeding
Department of Plant Pathology
Department of Biochemistry
Department of Agricultural Chemistry
Department of Agroforestry and Environmental Science